Art is much less important than life, but what a poor life without it! ... Robert Motherwell
"All great art is expression of man's delight in God's work, not his own." John Ruskin

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Another Bird Story

Being delinquent about posting here has made me feel quite cranky. To all of those who visit regularly, I apologize. I'll tell you it hasn't been for lack of desire, but rather, just too busy to get even one painting completed! I have several projects in the works and will post them as I am able.
All of my life I have had a loving interest in penmanship, calligraphy, and lettering. Oh, my poor parents! how frustrated they must have felt with all of the paper waste! You see, as a child, I remember my school projects and homework had to be "perfect" (at least, in presentation) and if the very first letter written was not acceptable by my standards I would simply wad up the page and throw it away. Sometimes this took 1/2 a ream! LOL!!! And so, my attraction for beautiful penmanship grew. I never did take instruction in calligraphy or any other form of lettering arts through the years, but have been self-taught. I did let the interest and obsession wain over the years, but recently, it has been revived and there are not enough books (or paper, possibly) on the subject in our tiny local library. I have purchased a couple of pens with italic nibs and a wonderful fountain pen with a very springy and flexible nib that I am anxious to put to work. It needs a new sac and just a thorough "once over" though...something that I do not feel qualified to do. Look for some artistic lettering posts in the future here.
I must tell you a funny story! I wish I had pics to post, but alas, I did not have my camera ready. Whilst flitting around the house doing chores and getting ready for my watercolor class the other morning, I noticed Miss Kitty running back and forth from window to window. I looked out to see what was so interesting to her and found that there was a huge flock of Starlings flying and diving about just outside. I didn't think much of it. I went out to get in my car a couple hours later to leave for class and was given quite a shock. My car (which btw, is new) was covered (and I do mean, covered) in bird poop!!! I was not parked under any trees or electrical lines, as you might expect, but those Starlings had decided to swarm my car and leave me parting gifts anyway. I could hardly see through the front window and even the door handle was covered! I didn't have time to spray it down at the moment, so headed out to class. I stopped at the coffee house on the way and the girls at the shop were rolling laughing as I pulled up. One of the girls said "If you don't have time to wash that off, I'd suggest taking the backroads. It's embarassing!" It really was funny! I kept thinking "Have you ever had one of those days when you just felt like you'd been c____ed on?" Well, I did. There's something about birds................

No comments: