Art is much less important than life, but what a poor life without it! ... Robert Motherwell
"All great art is expression of man's delight in God's work, not his own." John Ruskin

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Job 38:8-11, The Avenue, & Word from a Friend

1) At 8:00 this morning Austin and I climbed in the car and headed south. I had my weekly watercolor class in Florence and he had an appointment in Coos Bay later this afternoon. Once again, the rain was (and still is) falling in buckets and the wind was raging! In the winter, on the central coast, you will go nowhere if you wait for fair weather. About a mile out of town, one of the creeks was spilling over the road, but we got through just fine. As we rounded the bend at Cape Perpetua, water was gushing out of the mountain in more than a dozen places, but still we pressed on.......(hmmm? I wonder what drives a person to be so stubborn and/or stupid?). I was praying all the way because I was sure that without the Lord's help the mountain was going to come sliding over the top of us, shove us over the cliff and sweep us out to sea! Then just north of Sea Lion Caves, there it was in front of us.....a huge mudslide across the highway. Well there was no getting through, so we quickly turned around and began inching our way back north, hoping that the mountain had not come down at Cape Perpetua, leaving us stranded between the two. With the Lord as our guide, we made it safely home. Great is the Lord!!!!! All the while we are traveling along, we were watching the ocean. With the high surf warning today, the ocean swells are huge! The water is all dirty, brown and filled with debris. I was quickly drawn to thinking about the passage at Job 38: 8-11:
8 “Or who shut in the sea with doors, When it burst forth and issued from the womb;
9 When I made the clouds its garment, And thick darkness its swaddling band;
10 When I fixed My limit for it, And set bars and doors;
11 When I said, ‘This far you may come, but no farther, And here your proud waves must stop!’
I must thank the Lord for those boundaries he placed on the sea!!!!!!
2) I am most grateful for the avenue of prayer that God has given me! There are many times when I believe that if I did not have the blessing of being able to talk with my God, to cry out to him and to praise him, I would be a wreck!!!! I have tried to live without using the blessing of prayer and it is the same with any relationship; if you do not communicate, no relationship can grow. This morning was a time of unceasing prayer and He answered.
3) Though I was not able to make it to my watercolor class today, I spoke to my friend and WC instructor, Susan Weathers. After kindly telling me that she was glad I was making the safe choice, she informed me that next week she is doing a WC Portrait class. Yahoo!!!!! I have several "portraits" in my mind, so I am really looking forward to doing that! Maybe one day I will have a few under my belt.

No comments: