Art is much less important than life, but what a poor life without it! ... Robert Motherwell
"All great art is expression of man's delight in God's work, not his own." John Ruskin

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Psalm 143:8-10, Seagulls, and "The Hawk"

1) Psalm 143: 8-10
8 Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, For in You do I trust; Cause me to know the way in which I should walk, For I lift up my soul to You. 9 Deliver me, O LORD, from my enemies; In You I take shelter. 10 Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Your Spirit is good. Lead me in the land of uprightness.
In the Lord, I have shelter from the storms of this life, both spiritually and physically. Today I am specifically thankful for the shelter he has provided to me and my family, as the wind and rains blowing in from the SW are pretty rough, and the forecast is calling for 45-60 mph winds this weekend. I think of the apostle Paul and of all the trials and hardships he endured in his travels to spread The Good News, he must have lived through some very cold and miserable days and nights with no physical shelter, but safe in the shelter of the Lord.
2) It is great fun to watch the seagulls attempting to fly in this wind! They are quite adept at it, but every now and then, you will see one knocked off his path or perch by a strong gust of wind and it is entertaining to me. Hang on, Jonathan Livingston!!!!!
3) The Hawk 11x15, private collection
I painted this for my dear son. When he was 3 yrs. old, he was riding along in the desert with his dad and me and he spotted a hot air balloon way off in the distance. We told him, "No", but he insisted it was there and when it did come into view for us, we were amazed at his acute vision. At that moment he received the nickname of "Hawk".
(see above)

No comments: