Art is much less important than life, but what a poor life without it! ... Robert Motherwell
"All great art is expression of man's delight in God's work, not his own." John Ruskin

Monday, October 01, 2007

Art as Therapy and Just Doodling.....

I remember, many years ago, that I used to doodle everytime I was on the phone. I don't think I do that much anymore, in fact, I haven't been doodling at all! In retrospect, I think that was during a time in my young life that I didn't have many pressures on me (or, at least, I didn't think I did ???) and the carefree artistic side of me had no problem with attempting art. It seems that I woke up one morning and life had become chaotic and stiff and I found myself struggling along like so many others...and the doodling (the attempt to create) was GONE! Suddenly, I had this need to get back into my artistic self....I needed the therapy. The good news is that last night while on the phone, I doodled! And it felt so good. Even the conversation was more lively and pleasant. Below I've posted my "telephone doodles" (watercolor washes were added this morning). So, what is it about creating art that is so therapeutic? Please leave your comments and tell me why art is therapeutic for you.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doodling is a great way for your subconcious to communicate with you.

I tend to make art seemingly at random but after it is completed i can see that the combination of symbols and motifs actually tell a story, something personal about my state of mind, my hopes, my fears and often solutions occur to me to problems I had been surpresing.

keep at it!!

Leanna said...

Oooo....never put a thought to my subconcious! Wonder what my art is telling me??? Thank you for the thoughts and visit!

dibujandoarte said...

cute little animals! while drawing I usually can forget about the world, unluckily not always. I can spend 2 three hours "there" without realizing... Best wishes, and welcome to EDM! Martin.

juj said...

I love that chair! Great color and nice soft texture - just lovely - and the mayfly and the polka dots and and and - it's all just great

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

That armchair is GREAT. I want one just like it!

Leanna said...

Thanks Andrea! I have a matching sofa; they are the most comfortable sofa and chair I've ever sat on. I love the set and it was a wonderful, flukey find!